Although there are many exciting career opportunities in the health and medical research sector, the pathway traditionally followed by graduates is that of academia – PhD, post-doc, publications, grants applications, service roles and hopefully some research. However, with such a high number of science graduates and only few spots at ‘the top’ of the academic career pathway, we are losing many of our talented and passionate researchers from the sector altogether. This event is all about showcasing non-traditional scientific careers and reframing the negative stigma that often comes with pursuing them. We will celebrate and learn from the diverse ways women are forging successful careers in the health and medical research sector, in and outside of academia, as well as highlighting the skills we have all acquired over our careers which are transferable to, and valuable in, other roles.
To talk to us about career transitions and provide practical tips on identifying our professional strengths, we have invited Sophia Symeou, CEO and Founder of career management consultancy INS Career Management, as our guest speaker. We have also invited a panel of experts who help candidates from a research background make the transition to various roles in the sector to share their advice. And lastly, to give you an opportunity to meet and talk with women who have successfully moved between academic and non-academic roles in the health and medical research sector, we have invited transition ‘table experts’ to join each table to share their experiences and any lessons learnt along the way.
We hope you can join us for a delicious hot breakfast, while learning new skills and connecting with some very inspiring women forging successful careers across the health and medical research sector.
Since the inception of INS, CEO and Co-founder Sophia has worked to expand and diversify INS services to both organisations and individuals; and to run the type of organisation people are proud to be associated with. Sophia believes passionately that being for profit and for purpose are mutually compatible and being named a Telstra Business Finalist in 2014 reinforces that commitment.
Sophia’s strong reputation for driving business critical initiatives comes from her extensive track record transforming organisations to achieve multi-million dollar savings and growth within Australia, and internationally, and across a broad range of sectors and industries.
Sophia earned her reputation for success through her commitment to strategies that realise business goals and treat employees with respect and fairness.
As a founding Directors of INS, Sophia has used her distinctive style of innovation, collaboration, frankness, and compassion, to build a unique organisation with a strong sense of community intent on creating workplaces for the future.
- Dr Saraid Billiards, Head of Strategy & Engagement, Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE), @SciGenderEquity
- Martijn Bijker, Director and Founder of from SCIENCE to PHARMA – the only online Medical Science Liaison (MSL) training platform in the world www.fromSCIENCEtoPHARMA.com
- Belinda Butcher, Director – Biostatistics & Medical Writing, WriteSource Medical www.writesourcemedical.com.au
- Nicole Cawston, Recruitment Manager, Health Sciences, Aurec, @aurecrecruit
- Andrea Cowley, Consultant, Health Technology Analysts, @acowley0
- Sandra Heriot, Director, Service system reform directorate, Department of Family and Community Services NSW
- Louisa Jorm, Director, Centre for Big Data Research in Health, UNSW www.cbdrh.med.unsw.edu.au
- Lien Lam, Medical Science Liaison, global bio-pharmaceutical company
- Melissa Mail, Commercial Theme Leader, USYD, @Sydney_Uni
- Wendy Oakes, Health Policy and Advocacy Manager, The Heart Foundation, @Health25mill
- Alida Rossi, Director of Customer Excellence for Australia & New Zealand, AbbVie, @abbvie
Event competition – Oh yeah!
We are very excited that our friends at From Science to Pharma have partnered with us to deliver this event. To celebrate they are offering the FW community a number of fully sponsored places in their online MSL training courses.
All you need to do to go into the draw is write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and answer the two questions below (100 words max for each). Entries close COB 18th September. The recipients will be announced at our event. We will notify you if you are not able to join us on the day.
- Why do pharma companies hire MSLs?
- Why would you be a good MSL
Date(s) - 27/09/2017
7:00 am - 9:00 am
Advise of dietary requirements
3/181 Elizabeth St
Categories No Categories
The first time you register for an event, an account will automatically be created for you. (This is a non-member account). A username and password will be emailed to you. This allows you to manage your event bookings.
If you are already a Member or have previously booked an event, please login to your account prior to purchasing tickets. (To become a Member, see our Join us page).
(Franklin Women's Paypal account is registered under Biotalk Pty Ltd)
Bookings are closed for this event.